Madras Gymkhana Club Golf Course
About Madras Gymkhana Club Golf Course
Location:Chennai : Madras Gymkhana
Golf Courses in Chennai : Madras Gymkhana Club
The Gymkhana Golf Club, affectionately called “Guindy” is one of the oldest links style golf courses in the country with its sprawling 6000 yards of 18 challenging holes, all within and around the periphery of a horse racing track.
The older of Madras’s two golf courses, the Madras Gymkhana Club was founded in 1886. Unique in that it is situated within the 2,400 metre oval of the Guindy race course, it offers a challenging game.
Madras Gymkhana Golf CourseGolfing with a view of the races: Founded in 1886, the course (6325/5765 yards) is unique being situated within the 2,400-meter oval of the racecourse. The course offers a challenging game. The fairways are flat fast and encircled by the out of bounds racetrack. The greens are lush and well maintained and also strategically located, mostly along the trek. Hazards on the course include not only thick, rough bunkers and water tanks, but also unpredictable obstructions like the racehorses on their workouts. The first hole on this course is a heavy looking par4 at 415-yards. It however, takes a calculated and well-lofted drive to avoid the bunkers placed on the fairway, 130-yards from the tee. The second hole is an easy par3 at 170-yards, with a tricky green, at a gradient of almost 30 degrees.
For any questions, feedback or more details on tee off time at The Madras Gymkhana Club Golf Course please contact us.
Madras Gymkhana Club Golf Course Highlights
- Year of Foundation: 1886
- No. of Holes: 18
- Distance Gentlemen: Black Tee : 6,667 yards
- Par: 70
- Facilities: Accomodation, Restaurant, Bar, Swimming, Gym
- Playing Conditions: Walk-ins are possible but on weekends, it is advisable to book in advance
- Tourist Places to Visit after Golf: Fort St. George, Marina Beach, Elliot Beach; Mahabalipuram; Kapaleeshwar Temple; Crocodile Bank; Visit University
- Activities to do after Golf: Sightseeing; Buy Silk Dresses; Cultural Tour; Business Meetings; Conferences; Exchange Programs