The Delhi Golf Club
About The Delhi Golf Club
Delhi Golf Course, Delhi Golf Club, New Delhi, INDIA
Delhi Golf Course – Only Golf Course in the world dotted with the monuments of great historical and archeological value. Every golf course boasts of its hoary past, but few can compete with the Lodhi. At Delhi Golf Club – lie the end of dynasties, the relics of mighty empires, ruins which bear testimony to an age of glory. Founded in 1930’s as a municipal golf course and became member’s golf club by 1950’s. Delhi Golf Course was redesigned by Peter Thomson in 1976 / 77. Delhi Golf Course has 27 holes, 18 hole championship holes are known as lodhi Course and the shoter 9 holes are known as Peacock Course.
The Delhi Golf Course is home of many National & International Professional and Amateur golf tournaments. Delhi Golf Course has hosted maximum Indian Opens. Some of the major events hosted at Delhi Golf Course are : Indian Open, EMMAR MGF, SAIL Open, BILT, Women’s Indian Open, All India and many more.
Delhi Golf club measures 6600 yards from Men’s regular tee and 5900 yards from Ladies tee, the course plays very long and tough from the championship tee 7100yrds from Men’s tee and 6290 yards from ladies championship tee. The course plays quit tough year round with solid rough and thick bushes on both side of the fairways making the players think every shot they hit. At Delhi Golf Club golfers has to play a very planned and sensible golf in order to score a decent score or else they get.
Delhi Golf Club has also produced some of the finest golfers in the country who have won many Indian and International Events such as Gaurav Ghai, Shiv Kapur, Chirag Kumar, Manav Jaini, Mukesh Kumar, Ashok Kumar and many many more.
DGC has every facility of bar & catering, a swimming pool and recently a new pub and a health club has been added to provide more facilities to the members. For Golfers planning to play at Delhi Golf Course, the course is closed on every Monday and it is a member friendly golf course and always priority is given to members first.
The Delhi Golf course is also a sanctuary for over 3OO species of birds, and the golfer is often startled by the rain dance of the colourful peacock or the scurrying of a partridge. Planted with a variety of over 200 trees, the Delhi course is the most lush in the country, and its sandy loam has produced a rich turf good for the exacting fairway shots. The thorny bushes lining the fairways of DGC, put a huge premium on accuracy. A nine-hole Peacock Course is also a must explore. At Delhi Golf Course following birds which you will see on the course quit often – Indian Roller, Grey Partridge, Red Vented Bulbul, Hoopoe, Spotted Owlet, Grey Hornbill, White Eye Buzzard, Coucal, Blue Cheeked Bee Eater, Streaked Weaver, White Breasted Kingfisher, Tree Pin, Peacock, Rose Ringed Parakeet, Koel etc. The DGC also scores for its unbeatable location – it is situated right in the heart of the city, just a short distance away from India Gate.
The Delhi Golf Club Highlights
- Year of Foundation: 1921
- No. of Holes: 18 on main course; 9 on Peacock 'B' course
- Distance Gentlemen: 6869 yards
- Par: 72 for Lodhi Courses; 30 (1,910 yards) for Peacock Course
- Facilities: Restaurant, Bar, Swimming, Gym
- Accommodation Near Golf Club: Conveniently located, there are multiple options of Deluxe Hotels nearby.
- Playing Conditions: Member Golf Course
- Designer: A natural course, Peter Thompson renoveted it in 1977; Since then, more greens have been changed by the management.
- Tourist Places to Visit after Golf: Akshardham Temple, Birla temple, Gurudwara Bangala Sahib, Humayoun;s Tomb, India Gate, Jama Masjid, Jantar Mantar, Lotus temple, Mehrauli Archaeological Park, Purana Qila, Qutub Minar, Red Fort , Rastrapati Bhawan, Rajpath, Raj Ghat, Gurudwara Sisganj, Connaught Place, Chandni Chowk, Dilli Haat, Janpath. State Emporia
- Activities to do after Golf: Shopping; Events; Conferences; Exchange Program; Movie; Sightseeing; Exhibitions; Wine Tasting; Cultural Tour; Tour to Agra; Business Meetings